Monday, January 21, 2008

What's to love about Memphis? Everything!

By Amie Vanderford

When I open the paper each morning, I read about the crime and unsightly 'blight' of Memphis, but when I leave my house with my camera, I see a different Memphis.

Breaking it down by areas, I'll start with Downtown.

The Downtown Elementary School:
Downtown Elementary School - Memphis, TN

The Hernando Desoto Bridge:
Sunset Hernando Desoto Bridge - Memphis, TN

Main Street Trolley:
Memphis Trolley - Ghosttown

The old Tennessee Brewery:
Someday to be Lofts (old Tennessee Brewery) - Memphis, TN

The Civil Rights Museum:
Lorraine Motel

The Arcade Restaurant:
Arcade Restaurant Counter  - Memphis, TN

The St. Jude Children's Hospital Dome:
St. Jude Dome

And now a look at Midtown.

The "Summer" statue in front of the Brooks Museum of Art:
Statue - "Summer" - Memphis, TN

Joe's Sputnik (who would NOT love this sign??):
Joe's Wines - Movement - Midtown Memphis, TN

Overton Park in morning mist:
Morning Mist on Overton Park - Memphis, TN

The Zoo:
Sumatran Tiger - Memphis, TN Zoo

The arched walkway at Christian Brothers University:
CBU - Lines - 2  - Memphis, TN - 01-10-08

The Crosstown Sears Building:
Sears and the Moon - Memphis, TN

Now on to Orange Mound... did you know that Orange Mound was the first African-American neighborhood in the United States to be built by African-Americans? I think that is a piece of history to be proud of!

OrangeMound

Glenview Park:
Glenview Park 01-06-08 - Memphis, TN

Maxine's Beauty Salon:
Maxine's Beauty Salon

The old Lamar Theatre:
Lamar Theatre 01-03-08

Hawk's Bar & Grill:
Stop At Hawks

Exquisite Hair Care:
Exquisite Hair Wall

Uptown and north Memphis.

NewHouseOldTree

Still Curious

First Baptist Church Chelsea:
Steeple

Soul Food Specials:
Country Kitchen

East Memphis

Summer Ave. Antiques:
Antique Mall - Memphis, TN

Bar-B-Q Baby!
Tops Bar-B-Q - Memphis, TN

The Botanic Gardens:
Flowers - Memphis Botanic Gardens

Getting into South Memphis.

The Road to Soulsville!
Road to Soulsville

Pointing to Stax:
This Way to Soulsville - Memphis, TN

Stax Museum Marquee:
Stax Museum Marquee - Memphis, TN

And oh yes, I could go on and on. I love this city!

11 comments:

fearlessvk said...

these pics are absoultely beautiful. thanks so much for posting!!!! will definitely link here from my blog...

MRC-T said...

Thanks so much, fearless! :) I much appreciate spreading the Memphis love!

Steve Steffens said...

Quite awesome; thanks to vk for linking this, now I can, too...

Alistair Windsor said...

Beautiful pictures. I have not taken my camera out for a serious run in Memphis yet but your blog is giving me all sorts of ideas.

theogeo said...

Neat!

MRC-T said...

Thanks, everyone!

And alistair, I am glad to hear that, please do drop back by and share a link to photos when you are done.

captainkona said...

I've only been to Memphis a few times and it is a colorful, artistic, attractive city that is full of energy and has no end to the nightlife.

A historic community that is basically the face of Tennessee. Nice to see you're proud of it, you should be.

Regards.

A Field Guide to Urban Memphis said...

these are just divine. they show what a beautiful city we live in.

Robyn said...

Frayser is under rated, too. In January, we moved into a beautiful stone cottage here in Frayser, built downtown in 1920, and relocated to Frayser sometime long, long ago.
The early blossoms of an incredible garden, lovingly cultivated by previous owners, are starting to bloom. We first saw this house late last summer and fell in LOVE with this yard. I don't have a clue how to keep it up, but I'm going to try to learn what I can and do what I can.

Maybe if we could generate more positive focus by the local media, including Memphis Magazine, local news, etc. we could give this city's self esteem a boost, with good results for us all.

Robyn

MRC-T said...

Robyn,

I spent yesterday afternoon exploring Frayser, and I agree that it is lovely!

Amie

Rob Whatman said...

I loved these photos, and very much enjoyed the virtual tour around Memphis.